Travel industry is expanding rapidly around the world. The global growth of tourism has attracted the attention of many countries. Tourism has become a popular global leisure activity. Tourism can be domestic or international. It is usually for recreation, leisure, religious, family or business purposes, usually for a limited time period. Wildlife tourism is growing very popular these days.
Touring to the natural habitat of wild animals is known as wildlife tourism. It involves watching wild animals in their natural habitat. It also includes interaction with wildlife and taking photographs. It is closely linked to eco tourism and sustainable tourism. The main aim is to have an understanding of local flora and fauna without harming the natural environment.Right now, the particular perspective involving bountiful character is noted largely upon tv, and also consumer electronics is just about the standard method for some for you to ‘experience’ the particular world’s wildlife resources. This kind of unearths individuals to images with the world’s biodiversity in manners that have been not possible the technology previously, although from a few charge involving authenticity. Throughout past instances, persons generally were intimately familiar with their neighborhood variety involving wildlife, and also informed merely dimly (if from all) with the peculiar monsters that occupied other regions with the earth.
Positive Impacts of Wildlife Tourism
The positive impacts of wildlife tourism are as follows:-
- Higher environmental friendly awareness-the tourist gets more environments friendly. He gets aware of conserving our mother planet earth and how to save human culture and rare species. He gets experience of contributing to and helping conservation.
- The knowledge of tourist increases regarding the various rare species with the help of tour guides. It connects us with wildlife and helps us to understand the wildlife in a better way.
- The tourist may come across rare animals in their natural habitat.
- People with less contact to animals can come closer to them.
- It can be used as a tool for conserving wildlife.
- It helps in habitat restoration.
- It helps to prevent illegal poaching.
- The revenue earned can be used raise the standard of living of local tribes.
- It helps in conservation breeding in wild life sanctuaries, biosphere reserve, national parks
Negative Impact of Wildlife Tourism
Wildlife tourism cause disturbance to animals in their natural habitat. Tourist may scare away the animal disturb the breeding period etc. To increase wildlife tourisms many countries are constructing lodges near the forest ultimately disturbing the wild animals. Artificial feeding by tourist is very dangerous to the wildlife.
How to Solve the Problem?
Govt. should play an important role in reducing the negative impact of wildlife tourism. Proper training should be given to operators and tour guides. Operators and tourists should be properly educated and should be taught how to behave in the presence of a wild animal. This method can help in managing the negative impacts of wildlife tourism. A code of conduct can be decided and communicated to tour operators. Tourist education can help them to become a responsible tour groups. Licensing of tour companies is another method to reduce the impact of wildlife tourism. Poachers should be punished with imprisonment, fine or both.
Responsibility of Tour Companies
The tour companies must pay attention to the needs and preference of the tourists. The tour companies should make their experience exciting and informative. The safety aspect should be given high priority. They should ensure the animals are not disturbed by the activities of tourists nor the tourists are harmed by the wild animals. Safety arrangements should be made. They should try to promote wildlife tourism.
Duty of Tourists
- They should observe the sanctity of local places.
- They should not carry non degradable material like tins, plastic bottles
- They should not litter the environment with wrappers, plastic, bottles, empty tins.
- they should work for wildlife and habitat conservation
- Buy eco friendly products and save the environment around them.
- Use alternative energies wherever is possible.
- Don’t disturb the wild animals.
- Never try to go close to animal. It could be dangerous to the animal as well as the tourists.
Wildlife tourism has attracted the attention of many nations. It is one of the fastest growing industries. . According to estimates, international tourism will continue growing at the average annual rate of 4%. It is a source of income for many countries. Tourism brings in large amounts of revenue into a local economy in the form of payment of goods and services needed by tourists in the form of foreign currency. This will ultimately help in growth of economy and help to conserve our nature. There is a need to sensitize people regarding conservation of wildlife and overall the whole mankind.